Authentic Mud Cloth – black
Mud cloth is a hand-woven and hand-dyed textile that originates from West Africa, specifically, Mali. Known locally as Bògòlanfini, mud cloth is made by first hand-weaving narrow strips of plain cotton fabric. These strips are then stitched together to form a larger piece of cloth. Each complete piece is then dyed with fermented mud then hand painted with geometric patterns and symbols. The making of mud cloth is a centuries old process and the patterns and symbols often have meaning.
- Handcrafted using traditional techniques by artisans in Mali
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Pattern: Tiny triangles
- Handmade, each piece is a unique creation and no two are ever the same.
- Size: approx. 110 x 157 cm
- Spot clean only with a damp cloth.
- Do not machine wash.
- Do not dry clean.
Here are some ideas on what to do with your Mud Cloth … enjoy!
- Bed cover – use it as it is and add some ‘Wakanda-esque’ style to your bedroom!
- Sew some fleece or cotton onto the reverse side of your Mud Cloth and use as a blanket or throw.
- Hang it up on a bare wall to make a bold statement.
- Use it to make cushion covers – see our covers here.
- Use it to make over sized floor cushions, pouffes, footstools or even pet beds!
- Take the off-cuts from any other creations and frame them to make unique pictures for your home.
- Let your imagination run wild and create something completely unique for you!